Yoga has been a buzz word in the health industry for years, and for good reason!
Some associate it with stretching, others with relaxation or meditation. Many consider it o a sport. One thing is almost unanimous: yoga has positive effects on the body and mind.
I started my own journey in 2015 or 2016. I discovered Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube in a very anxious moment of my life, and I went into it with very high hopes of curing my anxiety and making everything better. Obviously, it didn’t completely cure me, but I do think it made me feel so much better (in the days I did my practice).
Ever since then, I’ve been recommending it to people who are stressed or feel anxious.
“Just try a YouTube video at night, before going to bed, it’s easy, it’s mostly stretching and it will help calm you”. My usual speech.
But it definitely works, so I will recommend it to you, too. There’s nothing to lose and there are no side effects (except maybe some sore muscles, if you overdo it).
The practices are usually around 20 to 40 minutes, and they consist of stretching and breathing exercises (well, the ones I use, anyway).
You just need some comfy clothes, a yoga mattress (or just a towel on the carpet) and YouTube.
So let’s go!
Here are my top yoga video routines to follow at home:
- Yoga for complete beginners. This is a great place to start. Adriene does a great job explaining everything in a simple, easy way.
- Yoga for Flexibility. This a short one to ease your muscles and make you feel better.
- Yoga for Anxiety and Stress. One of my favorite routines I always come back to. During my anxious phase, I used to do it every other day. Definitely check it out.
- Yoga for bedtime. This one is my current favourite. A good stretch, from a calming presence. Just what I need.
- Yoga for seniors and/or low flexibility. I usually recommend this for complete beginners. Or, as the video says, for seniors 🙂 Definitely a good one for your mom or dad.
- Yoga for Neck and Shoulders. I always come back to this routine when I have a stiff neck from sleeping in a bad position. It definitely helps. Or you could try this neck and shoulder yoga routine.
- Yoga for weight loss. Although yoga is mostly considered to be easy exercise, it can get hardcore and it can help you lose weight. Here is one example:
Yes, I know what you’re thinking. It’s only Adriene videos. Yes, there are, because I love her calming voice and her funny notes. She is just a lovely presence I trust, and that is the most important thing. But feel free to explore YouTube and find other channels, if you want to, there is a huge online community.
So tell me, what are your favorite videos to follow along?